Friday, March 1, 2013

It's Donna Day!!!


I first read Mary Tyler Mom's story of Donna two years ago when I had just been a fan and follower of her page. There was something about the way Sheila wrote about her daughter that drew me to her and I looked forward every day to another post. In fact, I remember getting up early and pacing the floor, waiting to read another installment.
Sometimes Sheila wouldn't post right away, and that was how me and my close friend who was also following the story, knew that it was going to be a heavy post that day.
Over the course of 32 days I read about Donna's 31 month Cancer journey.
In 32 days, I was changed.

You can read Donna's story HERE
Because of Donna I have been inspired to be a better person, to do more good things, even small things and to choose hope.

Since knowing Sheila I have gained a better understanding of what Cancer does to a family, to a mother, to a heart.
When Sheila asked me to write about Donna Day and what it means, I was both honored and excited to share with you the lovely Donna.  In case you didn't know, she is absolutely wonderful.


After sweet Donna passed away a charity was made by her family, Donna's Good Things
and every year they hold a head shaving event in Chicago that raises money for St. Baldricks and this year their event will be on March 30th.

Did you know?
More US children will die from cancer than any other disease, or many other diseases combined.
This is staggering and unacceptable.

Want to do something to help? Well first you can watch THIS VIDEO that explains more of what St. Baldricks does, and why there is a need for better funding towards Pediatric Cancer research.

You can also DONATE DONATE DONATE by clicking HERE
any amount helps!!
 Last year's started with a goal of $20K and they raised $79K!  This year there are fewer heads to shave and the goal is set at $30K.  The oldest shavee is 89 years old and she is doing it with her daughter, a returning shavee. Isn't that so rad?
          If you want to shave your head, that is so cool too, and there is still time! 
                                         Folks can raise a lot of $ in 30 days!

And if you have it in your heart to give but are not able to at this time, please share this post. Facebook, Twitter (#conquerkidscancer #donnaday) and anywhere else that you are able to. Let's do good things!!


 
xoxo Humble





3 comments:

  1. Humble writes good words. Thank you, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I hadn't heard about it yet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing about this beautiful family. Having a sick child or a child with a disability changes your whole life. Thank you for sharing this. Mary Tyler Mom thank you for letting us read about your journey.

    ReplyDelete